Monday, January 30, 2012

Matthew Chapters 1-4 ~ by Joel

I always forget how awesome the gospels are! 

The first half of chapter 1 lays out in detail the lineage that Christ came from. While usually I would probably skip over this, this time I read with great curiosity! And to my surprise, reading it allowed me to learn some new stuff. For instance, there are exactly 14 generations between Abraham and David, 14 generations between David and the Babylonian Exile and 14 generations between the Exile to Jesus! If you are reading this blog, I challenge to comment on this post as to what the significance of that is before I do! I don't know yet, but I will be finding out!!! After this prologue of sorts, Matthew jumps right into the short version of Jesus' conception, Joseph's chat with an angel and Jesus' birth.

Chapter 2 jumps ahead what could be as much as 2 years? Why the question mark, you ask? I've always assumed that the wise men were there the evening of Jesus' birth (I mean that's why they're in the manger scene, right?). But after the wise men fail to return to Herod, he has all boys 2 and under killed. This age bracket was determined by the day that the wise men first saw the star. I could be completely of base here, but this is what I'm thinking! Regardless, I always marvel at the faith of the wise men to travel so far following a star to worship a baby. I'm aware I'm dumbing down this momentous occasion but when you think about it being real life, it really is faith to be admired! I think this is also a good time to bring up Joseph's faith. He followed his dreams to Egypt and back and then to Galilee to keep his family safe. Again fulfilling prophecy that Jesus would be called a Nazarene. 

And then BOOM, John the Baptist enters the scene! I feel like Matthew was a no non-sense kind of guy. He really just hits all the high points. No fluff! I like it! John (the "B") uses one of my favorite parables for a moment here. He says in 3:10, "Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire." This analogy is used throughout the gospels and I love it. Every time I read it I have the opportunity to self reflect on the fruit in my life. Is there any? Is it good? Have I reverted to yet another thorn bush with pretty plastic fruit. I do not desire to look godly, but rather be godly instead. Thank you Lord for this moment to reflect! 

I also really love John the "B's" humility in this chapter. He know's what he is on earth to do, yet when the time comes to baptize Jesus he is still overwhelmed and completely humbled by the task at hand. It reminds me of that Addison Road song, "What do I know of Holy". I don't I think I can quite comprehend it at times. If you haven't heard the song, check it out 


Matthew's condensed version of Jesus being tempted made it almost seem trivial. If we don't already know, we will soon find out that is, in fact, not trivial at all. I did however glean some insight from rereading this passage again. In 4:10 Jesus simply says, "Get out of here Satan". After reading this, I have decided that regardless of how crazy I look and sound or how radical it may seem that when I am tempted I will now borrow these words from Jesus! How simple and direct. And yes I mean out loud as passionately as I imagine Jesus did it! 

The rest of the chapter follows Jesus as he rally's the troops. Yet again, I marvel at the faith of mere tradesmen to leave their families, their jobs and their lives to follow Christ. This passage means a lot to me right now. I pray that when my time comes, that I will not question the Lord's call but rather drop everything and RUN! I don't care what you say about this passage of scripture, at the end of the day, these men ran to the Lord when He called!

God, I thank you for today. I thank you for this time directly connected to You through your Word and your Holy Spirit. I pray that you would give me and anyone who reads this, a hunger for your word and a passion for your will. Amen

2 comments:

  1. Wow great start Joel! I also love what John the Baptist says to Jesus: "I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?"

    So Great!

    I look forward to more commentaries.

    This is John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the verses about John they have really spoke to me recently especially convicting Is when he sees people coming because it has become the popular thing to do and he says "do you think a little water on your snakeskins will make much difference? It's your life that must change, not your skin! " I pretty much love everything he says from Matthew 3:7-13 it is so true we must submit and change our insides before it can be seen on the outside , our outward reflections means nothing if we aren't living the truth from the inside.

    ReplyDelete