Monday, September 10, 2012

Afraid of the Prophets

I never met Isaiah, Malachi or Jonah in person, but I feel confident saying that they were most likely rather intimidating individuals. When you combine the speaking for God with knowing the scripture by heart, following all the rules of Moses, and often living austerely in the desert, it makes for a powerful impression. I've often allowed this thinking to steer me away from studying the prophets. There is just so much to take into account. There is historical context, translation issues, cultural differences, figurative language and ancient predictions. If you let it, it can all be very intimidating. But then you read it, and you realize that God still speaks through Isaiah and Jeremiah today. You realize that the Gospels have so much more power and significance when they are connected to the generations of faithful who came before.

I've begun a trek through the prophets. I'm currently about halfway through Isaiah. I've come to a place where I'm ok with the fact that there are layers and details that may escape me for the remainder of my life. I will continue to dig, search, and study. I've chosen to focus on the fact that God is faithful to reveal himself even in the face of my ignorance. In fact, the only cure for my ignorance is to listen to his voice and allow him to continue to reveal himself to me.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. The only people who think that God is violent based on the events recorded in the Hebrew scriptures are those who haven't read it for themselves. The image of God revealed by Isaiah is consistent with (and regularly points directly to) the image of God revealed in the person of Jesus. We are met with a God who, in the face of disobedience, rebellion, and complete rejection, still longs to lavish his love, grace, and salvation on humanity. We are met with the one true God who knows us more than we can understand and to be known by us.

No comments:

Post a Comment