Monday, April 22, 2013

In faith, but not in love

I have found that the creative expression of talented people inspires and points me to truth whether that person is creating from a Christian worldview or not. In fact, I am just as likely to have an encounter with Jesus while listening to the brilliant lyrics of Eddie Vedder as I am listening to David Crowder (no disrespect to Mr. Crowder).

Such is the case after my second viewing of the recent film version of Les Miserables. I could ramble for hours about the themes of forgiveness, redemption, and the futility of violence that I see running through the story, but I won't. What struck me this time through was the character of Javert. While I would certainly call him the antagonist of the story, I would not call him the villain. In fact, as I watched him struggle and wrestle with his difficult circumstances it struck me that he had far more in common with Valjean than I had previously realized. Both men must grapple with a response that does not fit into their understanding of the world. After stealing a bag full of expensive silver from the bishop, Valjean is not only shown mercy and compassion by the bishop, but he is given his most valuable possession (silver candle sticks). Valjean expects condemnation and receives grace. After he attempts to betray the French revolutionaries, Javert's life is put into the hands of Valjean. He not only expects to be killed, but seems to want it, to think that he deserves it some how. Instead, he is released. Valjean shows Javert mercy and compassion, when what he expected was vengeance.

The two men remind me of Peter and Judas. Neither men deserve forgiveness. Both men fail, betray, and abandon Jesus. The difference between them is not what they did, but how they responded to grace, what they did with the grace, mercy and compassion of their savior. Peter repented and returned. Judas ran away and took his own life.

As I mentioned earlier, Eddie Vedder is a genius whose words speak truth to my soul. If you aren't familiar with him, pick up a Pearl Jam record and just listen. You can thank me later. But in one particularly profound song (Marker in the Sand) there is a line that reminds me of this struggle. In the song, he talks about people who are, out expanding in a faith but not in love. This is the difference between Valjean and Javert, and it's the difference between people who follow Jesus and religious people. People like Javert don't want to extend grace to others, because when it comes down to it they don't feel like they are worthy of it themselves. And that is the beauty of grace. They don't deserve it. That's what makes it so amazing. People like Valjean understand how unworthy they are of the grace they have received and make it their mission to share that same ridiculous grace with as many people as they can.

Those of us who follow Jesus, those who are attempting to live a life of faith should be out expanding. Our goal should be to reach as many people as possible with the good news. But, our motivation and our method of sharing that message has to be love. If it's just about the faith, just about the rules, just about the regulations, then we are doing it wrong. We must always remember that the good news is just that, GOOD news.

No comments:

Post a Comment