Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Forgetting who we are

I've read, heard, seen the story of the trial, execution and resurrection of Jesus hundreds of times, and yet it never ceases to hit me like a hammer. Each time something different makes the heaviest impact, but the weight of the sacrifice, the intensity of the love, the honesty of Jesus' relationship to the Father, it is always intensely moving for me. This time around, it was Jesus predicting Peter's denial that spoke to me. Take a look.
“I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”
The word translated disown is Aparneomai. It means to deny, but it has this expanded definition. 
to forget one's self, lose sight of one's self and one's own interests
I absolutely love this. In the moments that Peter is denying knowing Christ, he is also denying himself, he is forgetting who he is, forgetting whose he is. Peter, in denying his relationship to Jesus, is forgetting his true identity, denying his citizenship in Heaven, losing sight of his adoption into the family of God.

Jesus, today remind me of my true identity. Don't let me deny who and whose I am. I belong to you because you have adopted me, grafted me in. Through your indestructible life, I too can have real, genuine, meaningful life. Today, through your Spirit and your power, I will live that life you have made possible for me.

P.S. I will also be wrestling with a verse that I can't believe I've never noticed before. It is quite strange and I don't quite yet know what to do with it.
The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus’ resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.
If you wrestle with this and have thoughts, please share them.

1 comment:

  1. I also never noticed that before! Freaked me out! I just read it in 3 different translation to make sure that the Message just wasn't crazy! God is really creative. I like that!

    ReplyDelete