Thursday, February 16, 2012

As he went along

I'm always reminded when I read the gospels that Jesus was never in a hurry. He had a sense of urgency about proclaiming the message of the Kingdom of God, but he was never in a hurry. Whenever he was interrupted, he stopped and dealt kindly with the interruption. Even when he was specifically headed to an appointment, he never hesitated to stop and interact with people along the way.

I'm beginning to think that this is not just a ministry style, but this relaxed pace, this refusal to be in a hurry is a characteristic of God revealed in Christ. During creation, God could have just done it all in one micro-nano-second or less. But instead, he took his time. He was deliberate. He was not in a hurry. This is difficult for me, because I struggle with this. I'm from the digital generation. I want it yesterday. If my computer or phone takes more than one second to do what I tell it, I get frustrated.

God, I want to reflect you in every way, every part, every characteristic. Jesus, let me model this refusal to be in a hurry in the say way that I seek to love, share grace and extend mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment