Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What are we living for?


These few chapters are HUGE! I actually feel overwhelmed at the task of picking a few moments that stood out to me, or even trying to summarize it. We have our first experience with communion, the betrayal of Christ, the crucifixion and then finally the resurrection. It doesn’t matter how many times I read this, I am still overcome by God’s willingness and Jesus’ sacrifice for us. Even more specifically God’s willingness and Jesus’ sacrifice for me.

I think it’s important to personalize this experience. I’ve come to the conclusion over time that believing that a man died on a cross for the sins of the world isn’t that hard to believe. The hard part, and the part that requires faith, is believing it is good enough for you. I assure you it is! Jesus, fully God and fully man came to earth and died a tragic death on the cross for you and for me, as atonement for our sins, to provide a way for us to heaven.

The choice we have is whether to accept this as truth and move forward in Christ or not. The beginning of Chapter 25 Jesus tells a story about this choice. We do not want to be caught off guard in our last moment on earth but rather be ready, vigilant and waiting. It is easy to assume that life keeps going, that life will end one day when you’re old and ready. I can also assure you that this is not always the case. Sometimes your whole life changes in a second. If you’re lucky your alive and you have the chance to do it right. I thank God everyday that he gave me that chance. I also thank God everyday that since Nathan didn’t have a second chance that he was wise enough to use his first one right.

Everyday we are choosing to live for something. I propose we live for Christ and see the way that affects our lives and the lives of everyone around us for good.

If you didn’t notice, there are no verses in this post. Therefore it does not count as reading the bible. Duh! I encourage you to go read Matthew Chapters 25-28 with fresh perspective and an open heart.

1 comment:

  1. The Good News just keeps getting better. Not only is his death sufficient to keep me from suffering the same way, but his resurrection is powerful enough to provide me real, genuine, indestructible life now. What Jesus offers is so much more than the "get out of hell" card that I thought it was growing up. What he offers is a transformed life that we can begin to experience now.

    Good thoughts Joel. One down, 26 more to go. This is going to be fun.

    ReplyDelete