Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Kingdom of God is near

The message of Mark's gospel is quite simple. Through all the stories and parables, one theme pervades. The kingdom of God is near, and the only proper response to this fact is to repent.  It is that beautifully simple. As I read the first seven chapters this time, I noticed something else. The more deeply someone is connected to the law, the more deeply religious a person is, the more devoutly Jewish a person is, the less likely they are to hear, understand and respond to Jesus' message. The Pharisees respond to Jesus' teaching by looking for a way to kill him. The disciples follow him, but are repeatedly confused by and frustrated with Jesus. And then there is everyone else, the crowds, the hoi polloi, the commoners, the sick, the broken, the sinners. These people flock to Jesus. Their simple trust in him, their faith in his authority is always rewarded. They always come away changed.

Jesus, I come before you today with nothing more than the knowledge that you are the hope of the world. Today, I set aside everything that is me so that I might have more of you. Fill me so that I might empty myself for the sake of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment