Monday, February 13, 2012

Not what I will

It's worded a bit different in Matthew and Luke, but I'm always convicted and moved by the moment that Jesus prays in Gethsemane.

Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

This moves me in large part because this is the moment that I see Jesus' humanity most clearly. Jesus, the son of God, the messiah, the anointed one, doesn't want to go through with the plan. He is not excited about what is coming. He doesn't feel like doing it. He directly asks God to accomplish the restoration and redemption of humanity some other way.

And yet, in this same moment I see his divinity clearly as well. He takes his request to the Father, but as he requests to be released from this path he submits to the Father's authority. He is open and honest about his feelings, but is not ruled by his emotions. He trusts the Father. He knows that the Father is loving, gracious, wise and powerful. He is willing to obey even in the face of sacrifice, pain and suffering.

Jesus, not as I will, but what you will. Father, I submit to your authority. God, today I offer myself to you as a living sacrifice. God, I'm grateful that I can be honest with you when I don't like my circumstances or when something is particularly painful. And yet, I submit to your wisdom. I trust in your goodness. With your strength and through your Spirit, I will obey even when it hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment